I made Creme Fraiche sometime back and I’ve been spending the whole time incorporating it in almost everything I cook. Next up was banana bread since there were two over ripe bananas sitting in our fruit basket. What would go better with banana bread than sweet creme fraiche?
While looking for recipes, I realized I had just one egg, but most recipes called for 2 or 3. That struck me as a little odd though. We use mashed banana in place of an egg or two in cake which rises pretty, so why would we need to add eggs to banana bread?
Well, this recipe is mostly eggless.
I say that because I found this recipe, and after I started making the batter, I threw in that egg since the carton was taking up space in the fridge. You can totally skip it.
I used creme fraiche in the recipe too. I think that made the bread really moist and nice. I mean, you can go ahead and use the original recipe if you don’t have creme fraiche at home, but I really think it made a difference. The topping was simple and went very well with the bread. Seriously, go make some. I did.
Mildly Sweet Whipped Creme Fraiche Topping
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- 2 tbsp superfine icing sugar
Whip the creme fraiche while adding a thin stream of sugar until light and fluffy. You can add more sugar if you want it sweeter. Spread on banana bread.
Just slather some on…
- For the Banana Bread -
- bananas, mashed and over ripe - 2
- brown sugar - 2/3 cup
- butter, softened - 1/3 cup
- flour - 2 cups
- creme fraiche - 3 tbsp
- baking powder - 1 3/4 tsp
- baking soda - 1/4 tsp
- vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- salt - a pinch
- egg (optional) - 1
- For the Creme Fraiche: -
- creme fraiche - 1/2 cup
- sugar - 1/4 cup
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter for about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime in another bowl, combine flour, baking powder and soda, salt.
- Mix the bananas into the sugar and butter mixture along with vanilla extract.
- Add half the flour mixture, mix and then add the other half. Don't overmix. Just until combined well.
- Spoon into a loaf pan and bake at 350 deg F for 45 minutes. Check because oven times vary. Toothpick must come out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Top with creme fraiche only after it's completely cool, if not the topping will melt.