Quite a few people have been asking me about how I incorporate quinoa into our meals. As I’ve said before, I pretty much treat it like rice. I make Quinoa Pilaf quite often. It’s an easy 1-pot meal and very healthy. Today I switched it up and made an Asian inspired version. I would like to call it ‘Indian Chinese Quinoa’ but that sounds kind of funny right? Indian Chinese is something only Indian people enjoy. I doubt Chinese people would have even heard of it.
Anyway, so what I made here was tangy, spicy, garlicky, and full of vegetables. Feel free to add more veggies, shredded chicken or other kinds of meat. I didn’t use green chillies this time but broken red chillies that I intentionally burned in oil. I find that once you fry chillies, they are not too spicy and can be eaten instead of thrown away. It also releases a very nice flavor and, in this case, a smokiness to the dish.
Healthy, easy, tangy & tasty!
The ingredients can be doubled easily.
- quinoa - 1 cup, uncooked
- cabbage - 1 cup, shredded
- onion - 1 cup, thinly sliced
- broccoli - 1 cup, cut florets
- bell peppers - 1 cup, chopped
- peas and carrots - 1 cup
- green beans - 1 cup, chopped (I didn't have any, but add some)
- garlic - 5 cloves, crushed
- ginger - 1/2
- soy sauce - 1 1/2 tbsp
- vinegar - 1 tbsp
- sriracha - 1 or 2 tbsp, or red chilli sauce or sambal
- stir fry sauce - 1 tbsp, or any asian sauce available
- garam masala - 1/2 tsp, optional
- salt - to taste
- Wash the quinoa using a strainer/small-holed sieve and cook just like you would cook rice, 1 : 2 ratio in a pot or a rice cooker. Mix it up once it’s done so it doesn’t get lumpy.
- Heat oil in a large pan/wok, add the garlic. Stir for a few seconds. Break the dried red chillies into small pieces and drop it into the hot oil. Saute for about 20 seconds until it’s dark and crisp but not smoking. Add the ginger and onions. Saute for a few minutes until lightly golden brown. Add all the vegetables and stir until cooked but not mushy.
- Add all the sauces one by one to the vegetable mixture. Stir till well incorporated.
- Add the quinoa and mix
- Serve! Enjoy this on it’s own or with a side salad / asian side.