I made chocolate brownies the other day. I used this recipe the first time I baked by myself in the 8th grade, and still use it to this day. It’s very easy and very forgiving. In school I would just dump all the ingredients in a bowl, beat well and bake. That’s all. Initially, I did not have a hand mixer and would get my brother and cousins to take turns whisking the batter (so basically whoever pestered me for the brownies had to have a go at it ) This time, I took pictures of the process so that I can put up a mini tutorial of sorts. Hopefully, this will inspire you to try them out!
First, Lets get the ingredients ready. (I will list the complete recipe with measurements below)
Mix the dry ingredients – Flour, cocoa, baking powder & salt – in a bowl. Prepare a pan by greasing and flouring it. I used my round spring form pan but its nicer if you use a square baking dish. I need to buy one!
Ok, now we deal with the wet ingredients. It is important to have the butter and eggs at room temperature so they cream well. I used a stand mixer, but you can use a bowl and a hand mixer if you have one. Or even a bowl and a wooden spoon would work well.
First, cream the butter and sugar. The add the eggs and mix well. Add the dry ingredients, vanilla extract and mix thoroughly for a few minutes until the mixture is smooth, creamy and does not contain any lumps.
Preheat the oven bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes. Check and if a toothpick comes out clean, it’s done if not bake for another 5-10 minutes.
I usually top it up with chocolate fudge sauce but this time decided to try something different and made caramel sauce. Caramel sauce turned out to be simple to make. I did not document the process since I wasn’t sure how it would turn out. I looked at this video and did exactly the same thing. He doesn’t list measurements, so you have to go by how it ‘feels’. I used approximately 3/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 a stick of butter and 1/4 cup of heavy cream.
And then I topped it up with warm caramel sauce and dug right in! mmm yumzilicious!
This recipe can be doubled easily. I have, many times. This yields one pan of brownies.
- - For the Brownies
- Eggs - 3
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Cocoa Powder - 3/4 cup, unsweetened
- Butter - 1/2 cup, unsalted
- Flour - 7/8 cup, all purpose (3/4 cup + 2 tbsp)
- Baking Powder - 3/4 tsp
- Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/8 tsp
- Walnuts - 1/2 cup, optional
- - For the Caramel Sauce
- Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Butter - 1/2 cup
- Heavy Whipping Cream - 1/4 cup
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F, grease the baking pan and set aside.
- Mix the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the sugar and butter till soft and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well. Add the dry ingredients and beat thoroughly until no lumps remain. Mix in the vanilla extract and nuts.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake at 350 F for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Check after 25 minutes and if it isn't done yet, continue for another 10 minutes, checking after 5.
- Enjoy warm with or without ice cream and toppings of your choice!