My cousin M and I invariably end up talking about baking. It is with her that I baked my first cake and brownie. The cake episode is very dear to me – I was 6 and she was 12. … The lemon cake we made turned out like stone, with a base of rubber! My love for baking started then. I have made brownies from her recipe since the 8th grade and have bribed my brother and many rowdy cousins with them on many occasions. The other day, she sent me a link for nutella cupcakes on Tartlette’s blog. I was resisting sweet stuff for a while but I just couldn’t get this out of my mind! So I made them, and I should say that these are the best kind of cake I’ve made. Ever. Soft and fluffy. I highly recommend this recipe. I wasn’t going to make frosting initially but I ended up making a shortcut version without butter. It tasted quite good, but doesn’t hold well so I’m not going to list how to make that.
- butter - 125 g, unsalted
- sugar - 1/3 cup, light brown OR honey(110g)
- coffee - 1 tbsp, ground
- milk - 2 tbsp
- nutella - 1/4 cup
- eggs - 2
- flour - 200 g, all purpose
- baking soda - 1 tsp
- salt - a pinch
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Place 12 muffin liners inside a muffin pan and lightly brush with melted butter (or cooking spray).
- In an electric mixer, whip the butter and honey until fluffy at medium speed, 2-3 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and add the coffee, milk and Nutella. Still on low, add the eggs, one at time and scraping the bowl after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and salt and slowly fold this in with the butter - Nutella mixture until the mixture is smooth.
- Divide evenly among the muffin liners and bake 20-25 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting or enjoy warm without.
- Eat them all while still warm in one sitting :P (now you know what we did!)