Simple, flavorful and very easy to make. This recipe is a bit sweet and on the tangy side since I added some tamarind extract to jazz it up a bit. The consistency is a little heavy so a few pieces per person is usually sufficient. A small squash can serve about 4 people. Goes well with rice and yogurt/curd.
- Butternut Squash - 1, small, cubed
- oil - 1 tsp
- urad dal - 1 tsp
- channa dal - 1 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- dry red chilly - 2
- asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
- curry leaves - 4
- tamarind - 1 tsp, concentrate
- red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
- turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Heat oil in a pan. When hot, add both the dals and fry until light brown.
- Add mustard seeds and after they pop, add cumin seeds, asafoetida, dry red chilly and curry leaves.
- Add the diced squash and tamarind extract. Cover and cook for about 10 - 15 minutes until tender.
- Add the red chilly and turmeric powder, saute for about 2 minutes.
- Serve with rice!