I love avocados. ’nuff said. I’ve been experimenting a bit with them, and came up with Avocado Rice. Initially I would cut it up and add to cooked rice with onions, tomatoes and spices, but this time, I tried something a bit different. I cooked the rice WITH the avocados. I drizzled some lemon on top and the flavor was so light, buttery and… and inexplicable. Yes, it was that good. So good that I want to share the recipe with all 3 of my readers, parents included.
I like to keep it simple with avocados and minimal vegetables so that the flavors don’t overlap each other.
Healthy and tasty Avocado Rice. Can be had as a side or an entree with roasted vegetables on the side. These ingredients are for 1 cup of rice and can be doubled easily.
- avocado - 1
- cilantro - 5 stalks
- white rice - 1 cup
- water - 1 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp
- lemon - 1
- garlic - 2 pods
- onion - 1/2, chopped
- tomato - 1/2, chopped
- cumin - 1 tsp
- salt - to taste
- Wash rice and set aside.
- Scoop out the flesh of the avocado, mash it up and mix with chopped green chilly, garlic and coriander.
- Add salt and squeeze 2-3 tsp of lemon juice into the avocado mixture.
- Add the washed rice and water. Cook the rice in a rice cooker or on the stove top. After the rice is done, fluff it lightly with a fork so it doesn't stick.
- In a pan heat 1 tsp of oil, add cumin. Once it fries a bit, add chopped onion. Let it fry for a minute till translucent.
- Add the chopped tomato and fry for another minute. Turn off heat. Add to the rice and lightly mix. Drizzle some lemon on top.
Update : A fellow blogger and friend made this and even took step by step pictures. Check it out here, at Tunneling Thru’. One of my most favorite blogs, I’ve read every post of hers and only hope to write like her one day! Go away… read it!